We love our hair and for many of us, losing them is not an option. Shedding hair is normal and losing 50-100 strands of hair every day is fairly usual. But if too many of them end up on the brush or in the drain, it’s time to take action. But before rushing to synthetic products that can do more harm than good, here are some home remedies that can do miracles for hair loss.
Causes Of Hair Loss
There are several reasons why you can lose your hair.
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Thyroid problems
If it’s caused by a medical condition such as thyroid dysfunction, obviously you need to see a doctor to resolve the cause. Otherwise, a few natural home remedies can reverse the loss trend.
Balance Your Diet
Protein is important to hair health. It strengthens hair and promotes hair growth.
- So don’t be shy on proteins and eat at least 6 ounces serving of lean meat, dairy or beans daily.
- Include nuts, seeds, and wild fish in your diet to get enough omega-3 fatty acid to keep a healthy scalp.
- Avoid unhealthy fats like corn oil or soybean oil.
- Limit sugars as they promote hormones imbalances.
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine as they can cause dehydration, hormones imbalances, and inflammation.
Supplement Your Diet
Iron, zinc or biotin deficiency can definitely cause hair loss.
- Iron: don’t take iron supplements without being tested for iron-deficiency because an excess of iron in your body can be dangerous.
- Zinc and Biotin: these supplements will definitely help for your hair loss. You can take them separately or in a combo.
- Pumpkin seeds and fish oil contains fatty acids that promote thicker hair and reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin D: vitamin D deficiency is linked to many health issues including hair loss. Getting enough vitamin D is difficult, especially during winter months when sunlight is scarce. Taking vitamin D supplements when you can’t get enough sunshine can help reduce hair loss. You can get tested for vitamin deficiency before taking it as a supplement.
Massage Your Scalp With Coconut Oil
Before washing your hair, spend some time massaging your hair and scalp with organic raw virgin coconut oil. Heat up a small amount of the oil and kindly massage your scalp for 10 minutes. Don’t use your nails, it can irritate your scalp. The massage will increase blood flow to the hair follicles and condition your hair and scalp.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which has antibacterial, anti-fungi, and antiviral properties. Coconut oil deeply moisturizes the hair and is a natural pre-shampoo conditioner for hair.
Aloe vera Shampoo & Conditioner
- Aloe vera contains enzymes that repair scalp and promote hair growth and help reduce thinning.
- Its chemical composition is similar to that of keratin, the primary protein of hair.
- Aloe vera is a powerful moisturizer, locks the moisture and nutrients in the hair follicles, and restore the natural PH of the scalp.
Using a natural Aloe vera shampoo and conditioner will help reduce hair loss and promote thicker hair.
Essential oils To Stimulate Hair Growth
- Rosemary essential oil is known to increase cellular metabolism that stimulates hair growth. It encourages blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates the hair follicles.
- Spikenard has shown great potential in reducing the time for hair to grow back. As a bonus, it also slows the apparition of gray hair.
You can add 10 drops of the essential oils to your coconut pre-shampoo conditioner.
- Exercising regularly relax body and mind.
- Get enough sleep, at least 7 hours per night.
- Find the time to take breaks.
- Use essential oils such as lavender, myrrh, and bergamot which have calming properties.
- Add Ginseng to your diet. It improves stress management by regulating hormones and physical functions.